Loving Work: My Experience as a Blackstone Fellow

Every year, Mauck & Baker has a talented Blackstone Legal Fellow join the firm for six weeks. The Blackstone Legal Fellowship is branch of the Alliance Defending Freedom and prepares Christian law students for careers marked by integrity, excellence, and leadership. 

This summer, we had a first year law student, Matthew Jacobs, join the firm. Matthew lives on the south side of Chicago and attends Vanderbilt Law of School. 

The more that you learn, the more you realize that you really don’t know very much at all. You come to realize that you will never stop learning. To all those studying law, this concept has become especially clear. In law, there’s always something new to learn or a different approach to take.

My name is Matthew Jacobs and I have just spent the last six weeks interning at the Mauck & Baker. Let me start by stating that I loved it and would recommend this firm to any in need. As a law student, I have come to enjoy learning about the law. However, knowledge of the law is substantially dependent upon the understanding that can only come from experience. The letter of the law holds little significance without an individual for it to be applied to. In my time at Mauck & Baker, I learned a variety of different laws and concepts. But, what I learned that was most was what the relationship between the attorney and the client should look like.

In many firms today, associate attorneys (much less interns) have very little contact with the clients. At Mauck & Baker I was allowed to participate in client meetings and consultations. This experience exposed me to the other side of the legal system. When one’s only interaction with a client is there name on a sheet of paper, one can be tempted to treat like just another character in a sea elaborate stories. Until one is able to truly embrace the humanity behind those seeking relief, those seeking your help, effective council cannot be given. My time at Mauck & Baker has taught me that understanding the law is understanding people. All too often the intellectual in us tends to forget that the purpose of the law is for the protection and benefit of the people. Whether it involves the government, a company, a church, or an individual, at the root of all legal disputes is a desire for protection. At Mauck & Baker, the interactions I had with the various clients helped me to understand that the primary job of an attorney is not just to argue for your client, but to help guide your client every step of the way and reassure them that you are doing ever thing you can to fight for their protection.

As Christians, we are taught that the most important thing one can do is to love. Throughout life, we so often separate the spiritual importance of love from the natural importance of our occupation and desires. To have the greatest effect, an attorney should never separate the two. An effective Christian attorney must love her client, opposition, opposing counsel, trying judge, and all of those that the outcome of the case may affect. At Mauck & Baker, I saw the application of this concept first hand and am determined to apply it throughout my career. In a competitive market, we may be tempted to only focus on financial gain or resume building. But, just like our Lord, we must remember that our greatest work is to love.

13 comments (Add your own)

1. wrote:
Hi. I see that you don't update your site too often. I know that writing posts is boring and time consuming.

But did you know that there is a tool that allows you to create new articles
using existing content (from article directories
or other websites from your niche)? And it does it very
well. The new posts are high quality and pass the copyscape test.
You should try miftolo's tools

Sun, August 5, 2018 @ 3:56 AM

2. wrote:
Wonderful items from you, man. I have be mindful your stuff previous
to and you are simply too great. I really like what you have obtained
here, really like what you are saying and the best way during which you say it.

You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise.
I cant wait to learn much more from you. This is really a great website.

Thu, October 4, 2018 @ 9:25 PM

3. wrote:
Its like you read my thoughts! You appear to understand so much approximately this, like you wrote
the book in it or something. I feel that you just could
do with a few percent to force the message house a
little bit, however other than that, that is great blog. A fantastic read.

I will certainly be back.

Thu, October 11, 2018 @ 5:08 AM

4. wrote:
Hello, i think that i noticed you visited my blog so i got here to return the desire?.I am trying to in finding things to enhance my website!I assume its ok to make use of some of
your ideas!!

Tue, October 16, 2018 @ 8:07 AM

5. wrote:
Hello, just wanted to say, I liked this blog post.
It was practical. Keep on posting!

Fri, October 19, 2018 @ 7:53 AM

6. wrote:
Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up the
good work.

Sun, October 21, 2018 @ 1:06 PM

7. wrote:
Keep on writing, great job!

Sat, October 27, 2018 @ 2:52 PM

8. wrote:
Hiya very cool blog!! Man .. Beautiful .. Superb .. I'll bookmark your blog
and take the feeds additionally? I am happy to search out a
lot of useful information here within the submit, we
want develop more strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.

. . . . .

Mon, October 29, 2018 @ 5:39 AM

9. wrote:
If you are going for best contents like I do, just pay a visit
this web site everyday for the reason that it provides quality contents, thanks

Sat, November 10, 2018 @ 11:07 AM

10. wrote:
Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo
News. Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!

Thank you

Wed, November 14, 2018 @ 7:55 AM

11. wrote:
If some one desires expert view regarding blogging afterward i propose him/her to go to see this blog,
Keep up the pleasant work.

Sun, November 18, 2018 @ 6:52 PM

12. wrote:
I think that everything said was actually very reasonable.
However, what about this? what if you were to write a awesome
title? I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your blog,
however what if you added a post title that grabbed people's
attention? I mean Loving Work: My Experience as a Blackstone
Fellow | Mauck Baker, LLC is a little vanilla. You might look at Yahoo's home page and see how they create post headlines to get viewers interested.
You might try adding a video or a picture or two to grab readers excited about everything've
got to say. Just my opinion, it would bring your website a little livelier.

Wed, December 5, 2018 @ 2:30 AM

13. wrote:
Hi. I have checked your mauckbaker.com and i see you've
got some duplicate content so probably it is the reason that you don't rank high in google.

But you can fix this issue fast. There is a tool that generates articles like human, just search in google: miftolo's
tools

Sun, December 9, 2018 @ 5:21 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.