A Supreme Court Case Pregnant with Hope

By Noel W. Sterett, attorney at Mauck & Baker, LLC

On Tuesday, the United States Supreme Court heard oral argument in NIFLA v. Becerra, a case involving California’s effort to restrict and compel the speech of pro-life pregnancy care centers. Since Mauck & Baker had filed an amicus brief in the case on behalf of twenty-three Illinois centers, I made sure to get a front row seat for the argument and it didn’t disappoint. As a witness to the arguments that were being made both in and outside the court room on Tuesday, here are three observations and two predictions.

Observation 1: California could not point to any actual evidence that pro-life pregnancy care centers have engaged in the type of misleading and fraudulent behavior of which they are accused. Accusations that these centers “pose as abortion clinics” or are “fake clinics” are being made daily by pro-abortion interest groups and politicians under the new hashtag #EndTheLies. While Planned Parenthood supporters may believe such accusations without any actual evidence, the Supreme Court demands more. In an ominous sign for California’s case, it was Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the most outspoken supporter of abortion rights on the court, who asked the state if it had any evidence for this claim. It did not.

Observation 2: As Justice Gorsuch put it, this court “jealously” protects the freedom of speech. Not a single justice gave any indication that they were interested in weakening the freedom of speech by recognizing a “professional speech” exception to the First Amendment, and most of them seemed troubled by what Justice Kagan referred to as the “serious issue” as to whether the “statute has been gerrymandered” to target only pro-life centers.

Observation 3: Justice Kennedy’s billboard hypothetical put the nail in California’s coffin. Justice Kennedy asked both attorneys a simple question, “What would happen if an unlicensed entity, unlicensed center, just had a billboard that said ‘Choose Life’? Would they have to make the disclosure?” The disclosure to which he was alluding is a 29 word statement that must be in the same size font as the main message and must inform the public that the center is not licensed as a medical facility by the state. While California’s attorney would not concede the absurdity and burden of such a disclosure requirement, Justice Sotomayor who kept returning to this question said the requirement seemed “burdensome and wrong.”

Prediction 1: The Supreme Court will rule in favor of NIFLA, and the decision will not be close. The Supreme Court’s recent free speech cases have been mostly unanimous decisions, and while this case may not result in a unanimous decision, I do not see a 5-4 split here.

Prediction 2: Pro-abortion interest groups and politicians will increase their efforts to go after pregnancy care centers but have chosen the wrong ground upon which to fight. By ground, I mean both the ground of truth—which is on the side of the pro-life community—and the United States of America—wherein our freedom to proclaim the truth is still “jealously” protected by the Supreme Court.

18 comments (Add your own)

1. Barbara Singer wrote:
Thank you, Noel, for your insight and clear summary. Very encouraging. So grateful for your work!

Mon, April 9, 2018 @ 12:09 PM

2. Betty Pappas wrote:
Thank you so much for your summary. While I have read several posts regarding the hearing of the case, your summary is very simple and easy to grasp. Leaving little cause for misunderstanding.

I pray that your summary is consistent with the results.
God bless you!

Mon, April 9, 2018 @ 3:30 PM

3. Susan Skoglund wrote:
Thanks so much Noel for your work on behalf of our PRC's. I agree, your succinct report is worth sharing. We are all praying for the good result you predicted!

Thu, April 12, 2018 @ 1:58 PM

4. wrote:
Ahaa, its good conversation about this piece of writing at this place at this weblog, I have read all that,
so now me also commenting here.

Fri, October 5, 2018 @ 12:57 PM

5. wrote:
Actually no matter if someone doesn't know after that its up to other visitors that they will
help, so here it takes place.

Fri, October 5, 2018 @ 10:23 PM

6. wrote:
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my
blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this
for quite some time and was hoping maybe you would have
some experience with something like this. Please let me know if you run into
anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog and I look
forward to your new updates.

Thu, October 11, 2018 @ 6:03 AM

7. wrote:
Hello There. I found your blog using msn. This is an extremely well written article.
I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read more of your useful information. Thanks for the post.

I'll definitely comeback.

Tue, October 16, 2018 @ 3:33 PM

8. wrote:
Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. That
is a really neatly written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and
return to read more of your helpful information. Thanks for the post.
I'll certainly comeback.

Fri, November 2, 2018 @ 7:05 AM

9. wrote:
Great post. I was checking constantly this
blog and I'm impressed! Very useful info specially the last
part :) I care for such information a lot. I was looking for this particular information for a very long time.

Thank you and best of luck.

Fri, November 2, 2018 @ 5:00 PM

10. wrote:
I used to be recommended this web site through my cousin. I'm not positive whether this post is written by
way of him as nobody else recognise such distinct about my
difficulty. You are wonderful! Thank you!

Tue, November 6, 2018 @ 7:16 AM

11. wrote:
Magnificent items from you, man. I've be mindful your stuff previous to
and you're simply extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like
what you are saying and the best way by which you say it.
You are making it entertaining and you still take
care of to stay it wise. I can't wait to read far more from you.
This is really a great site.

Mon, November 12, 2018 @ 8:59 AM

12. wrote:
Thanks for the auspicious writeup. It in truth
was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more delivered agreeable from you!

By the way, how can we be in contact?

Tue, November 13, 2018 @ 9:25 PM

13. wrote:
Howdy! This article couldn't be written any better!

Looking at this post reminds me of my previous roommate!
He continually kept talking about this. I
am going to send this information to him. Pretty sure he will
have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!

Wed, November 14, 2018 @ 1:48 AM

14. wrote:
I loved as much as you will receive carried out
right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject
matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an edginess over that you wish be
delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again since exactly
the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

Thu, November 15, 2018 @ 10:20 AM

15. wrote:
Sling tv coupons and promo codes for november 2018

This page really has all of the information and facts I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to
ask. sling tv coupons and promo codes for november 2018

Sat, November 17, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

16. wrote:
Great post. I am dealing with some of these issues as well..

Sun, November 18, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

17. wrote:
Why mauckbaker.com loads so slow?

Mon, December 3, 2018 @ 5:07 AM

18. wrote:
I have read so many articles or reviews regarding the
blogger lovers however this piece of writing is in fact
a fastidious post, keep it up.

Thu, December 6, 2018 @ 3:01 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.